Wednesday, March 28, 2007

my architect


In 2003 when this film was released I remember seeing the posters around new york and I really considered seeing the film. most cause of the citizen kane line they put in but also cause that building looked amazing. Other then that I didn't really know what I was getting in to.
Last nite I finally watched the film and yes it is simliar to citizen kane in that it is about intrewing friends and other relations to a man to try and find out who he was. I guess in regards to both you can't sum up a mans life in a 2 hour film.
However this is more then that. The film was directed by Nathaniel Kahn who is doing this to find out about Louis Kahn. a famous architect. His father died when he was 11 and apprently had three different families 2 of which were secret. one of those two was nathaniels. he didn't really know his father only when he would spartically visit.
Louis Kahn was full of mystery and the buildings he visits just add to it. My girlfriend lived near the Kimbell Art Museum in fortworth texas and told me how peaceful it was there. The same reclection happened to other people in the film that lived and went to work in those buildings they had an anroumous sense of pride over them.
The film is wounderful and shows a portarit of a man that was both insane and a genius. It also showed how he effected people. I guess the only film to compare this to is kane but it stands on it's own.
It's the kind of film that your not sure if the film maker can make another one this good. you know he's put alot in to it. but at the same time you don't give a shit because you want to see an amazing film and why the fuck have 3 good films when you can have one amazing piece of cinema.
I don't know if i can really write all the emotions and depth and everything in this film. which is kinda funny considering how i started this post.
But regardless of my writting just see this movie. don't ignore it. It will blow you away the architecture is shot beautifully. It's really an amazing film and defently one of the best documentaries of the decade.

to try and sell you even more here is some of Louis Kahn's work.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home