Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Does Def Jam suck

Recently Def Jam has been getting alot of shit and is deserving of such treatment. yeah cause Def Jam hasn't had a hit rap album since Jay-Z took over. And it is a rap label or well it was. With Rihanna and Fall out boy both doing well on Island Def Jam a normal label would be fine. But Def Jam was the first rap label. The label has always been very sacred to hip hop and it's harriatage.
I knew something was up when Method Man did an in store were I work and while being intrewed critised the label. saying "I'm not happy right now I've been with Def Jam for over 10 years keeping the lights on over there and this is the thanks I get. There's no single there's no video. I'm not happy right now" Method Man does have a point. On the same day the roots new album came out and we were giving out all sorts of incentives like free tee shirts and the cd was only 10 bucks. This was the roots first album on Def Jam and all though I like the roots I think that they should show older artists some respect.
I do want the roots to have a suessful album and do well but I heard both and I liked Methods alot more. Also the Roots have never really done that well commerically. They've had hits and I think Jay-z can do good things with them.


Then there's LL. Yeah remember he put out an album earlier this year. You probably don't cause it's all ready off the top 100. Ther3e promo just stopped working the album after the first album. Regardless of the quailty of the album LL was the first and I'm serious first artist signed with the label when Rick Ruben and Russel Simmons started in there NYU dorm room.
He said that Jay-z is only good at promoting Jay-z. But now that 50 cent is doing his next album which will be the last under his current contract with Def Jam. Many suspect 50 is gonna take LL cool J to aftermath. I think LL should do it. He has the longest career in hip hop. And no one wants it to end. Plus he's stayed current after all these years.

Def Jam is a good label but just not with rap which is a problem. Jay-Z needs to make a good label. But how good was Rockafella. Kanye and Jay-z are huge stars but name any other on Def Jam that are. Beenie Segal never made it same with the rest of the roc camp. He ulitmatly may have been a bad choice to head the leganadary label. But time will tell on that one.
He did bring Naz to the label and may give us a great Nas album but we'll see what happens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home